Monday, May 9, 2011

Down About Downtime?

So, I guess there's only really one thing to talk about these days. PSN, our gaming lifeblood, is down. Worse... Looks like it's going to stay that way for a whole month. Shock and Horror!

From left to right: Shock, Horror, and Listening-to-Beiber-on-Friday.

Alright, calm down now. Before we all rush off and commit Sepuku, just hold your chocobos and take a moment and consider other, less permanent options. Will complaining online get the network back up faster? No. It'll be back when it's ready, and not before.
Sacrifice a goat to a pagan god? No. Where are you even going to find a goat at this hour?
Hmm, what to do then? Oh, I have an idea!
Now, I'm going to need you all to think back... Back to a time several years ago... A time before PS3... What's there?
Why, it's a massive library of games that have no online capability! What's more, they're good!
That's right, much to the surprise of the modern gamer, there do exist games that can be played entirely offline!

PS2, PS1, GameCube, N64, SNES, and all the way back to the humble Arcade cabinet. Games have certainly come a long way, but that's not to say that only what's new is good. Sometimes the old is even superior.

Case in point.

Bust out those classics, my friends and fellow gamers! Step into the role of the heroes of the early Final Fantasy titles. Take up the blade once more in Onimusha (the world's only four part trilogy). Go head to head against the mighty Metal Gears with your trusty cardboard box. Run and Gun to your heart's content with Jak, Daxter, Ratchet, and Clank. Let the Prince of Persia scale the walls of Castlevania (Actually, I would pay quite well to see this game).

But wait, there's more!
Has anyone found any silver linings on this otherwise terrible event? In my case, I realized that I'd been spending way too much time on CoD simply because it was easier than working at other games. I found myself thinking things like, "I could put in the time to level up in Oblivion, maybe tackle the next mindscape in Psychonauts, OR I could just turn on the PS3 and do several rounds of Black Ops." I'd get a similar rush and feeling of accomplishment from doing well there that I would from completing a difficult puzzle or filling out some well planned leveling scheme. Why go the hard route when the easy one is so much simpler?
I'm not trying to ego trip about my 'leet CoD skillz" here or anything. At my best, I'm only slightly above average, if at all. What I'm saying is that the dozens of little victories I got each day were apparently greater to me than games that took more thought and effort. And that's not something I particularly enjoyed finding out. It's a habit I intend to break. Does that mean I'll be giving up on Black Ops? No. But I think that when the month is done, I might not be spending so much time on it. And not just because I expect the servers to go right back down from the massive influx of people scratching a month long itch.
Don't mistake me, I'm not saying there's anything wrong with Black Ops (well, at least nothing inherently wrong with competitive multiplayer gaming anyway). I've just never thought of myself as a 'take the easy road' kind of person, and that's what this title turned out to be for me.

Of course, what I'd really like is some sweet Portal 2 goodness. Seems like just the thing to get the old brain working again. And when funds allow, I'll most definitely get it and drop a review here. But for now I'll be entering the Uncharted territory of New Vegas, looking for the inFamous Arkham Asylum, and deciding whether or not the Devil May Cry.

5 comments:

  1. So apparently been offline makes you crazy. All those Single Player campaigns must be blending into each other. Although it would be awesome to play Uncharted style in New Vegas as Cole trying to reach Arkham to bitch slap Dante...

    Also as gamers, we should be used to playing with ourselves.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Just wait until you get to the part where the Prince runs up the wall to shoot Dracula with a Groovitron, but it turns out it's actually Lord Nobunaga in a cardboard box. And it looks to be a good fight, but then Sephiroth shows up and it's pretty much over for both of them.

    ReplyDelete
  3. how about Dragon age 2 to monkey ?
    you going to pick that up

    ReplyDelete
  4. It's one of many, many games I'd like to add to my collection. But with all the negative things I've heard, it's not high on the list. I'll be picking this one up used. Just too many games coming out soon that I'm more anxious for.

    ReplyDelete
  5. "Also as gamers, we should be used to playing with ourselves" - QFST

    (Quoted for sad truth) :D

    ReplyDelete